Sunday, March 12

state of shock

As the utter insanity unfolds at The Wanderers, the only thing crazier for me is that I am not watching a shred of it. A highlights package tomorrow, sure- but its unbelievable I am not watching the most impossibly exciting one-day match, possibly ever.

434. Shock.
It sinks in- more shock.
'Poor SA'- sympathy.
SA replies- amazement.
SA actually gets close- sheer disbelief.

update: 14 off the 45th over, and Van der Wath is on to 27 off 12. SA need 47 from the last 30 balls, and in between pinching myself to know this is really happening, I am as breathless as pure silence in front of a tv monitor can be.
update: they need 20 off 15, and someone explain to me why, with 3 overs to go, Lee is not bowlingthe 48th and 50th (when he has three over left!). Instead Lewis, who before the over had 98 taken off his 9 overs, is brought on. What??
Now it is 13 off 12!! The unthinkable is round the corner!

And they've done it. Forgive me if I need to recover. The state of shock I started this post with has been added to with a weird sort of helpless, numb, mad incomprehension at what's just happened.

8 comments:

Sfx said...

yes, am writing this at 3 am, yes its cos the fone wudnt stop ringing / getting messages as this was unfolding ...

now when are the highlights you referred to in that post ?!?

Popat said...

Yup - I wuz there! Thanks to an expat-Holi party hosted outside St Paul's Cathedral with the most loveliest plasma tv... Also, the good sense to switch off Kajra re after the sixth run (!) to switch on the commentary instead, so one could get a "feel" of the Wanderers too...

Stunning match. Hard to believe I saw what I did. Kudos to Graeme Smith- the lad has taken a lot of flak in recent times..

Blah.....I got there first! said...

Watched it, shook my head in amazement; still shaking my head in amazement! What a match.
It was the greatest ODI match of all time...but while it was surreal, unbelievable, fantastic, it still did leave me feeling not entirely comfortable. This is a sign of things to come. It will happen again. Some team, sometime, will cross 500 and will be chased down. And the way the playing conditions are being formulated, doubt if it will be another 10 years before we see this record shattered. But where does that leave the bowlers? The lack of any sort of contest between bat and ball was depressing. Who would want to become a bowler I wonder.
But all said it done, while it was awesome, I would not want to see something like this again. Or do I!! (still shaking the head in wonder)

Sfx said...

hey akr - if you around - any clue on when they're showing that highlight package? tks

the shakester [akr] said...

hi guys
aam rogered at work.
SFX, sorry- there aren't any highlights on in Singapore. There are a bunch of replays for India, though.

Sfx said...

if you really like it, akr .. and if you reckon dowloading 6GB is going to be worth it I posted the link ...

the Monk said...

and I missed it.

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
»