Tuesday, October 12

Bright Beckham, and...

Read an interesting piece about Beckham's intention of getting that much-talked about yellow card against Wales. It seems that his thinking behind the foul puts him well in the clear, and absolves him of all the unprofessionalism he has been accused of.

"I am sure some people think that I have not got the brains to be that clever," said Beckham, speaking from his home in Hertfordshire yesterday. "But I do have the brains. I could feel the injury. So I fouled Thatcher. It was deliberate. I knew straight away I had broken my ribs. I have done it before. I knew I will be out for a few weeks, so I thought: `Let's get the yellow card out of the way."

I can't say if he is telling the truth, but it does raise the question in my head about the sportsmanship of it all. He knew he was going to be out so he fouled someone?? Is it acceptable for a sportsman to behave that way, with that intent, with that reasoning, against an opponent?
Not just acceptable. It seems it is to be commended as foresight and intelligence- something that will not only explain but also justify his act. I don't get it.

And then there is this from Mr Dharker today. Amazing.
This is just one of the gems.

"Leading this debacle from the rear is captain Sourav Ganguly. If there is any accountability at all, he and coach John Wright should be sacked. And sacked right now, before Chennai. "

I couldn't be bothered going after this one, really...

No comments: